- Name: American Power Yoga (APY)
- Duration: 1 class = 1 hour
- Calories Burned: 150-350
- Focus: Flexibility, mind/body connectivity
- Location: Local power yoga studio in your community; Dallas APY Studio – 5400 E Mockingbird Lane
Dallas, Texas 75206; APY DVDs for sale online here!
- What is power yoga? This yoga method includes Kung Fu, Tai Chi and athletic movements to really challenge your body and mind. The studio is warm (about 85 degrees) so that your muscles have the heat necessary to quickly get deep into the poses. Throughout the class you flow continuously through various yoga poses and exercises.
- Commentary: If you are like me and have an attention span of about 30 seconds, the thought getting through a Bikram yoga class is as appealing as watching paint dry. Late last year I got a Groupon for APY, so I checked it out and have been going at least 2X per week ever since. I like power yoga because it’s like “yoga for athletes” – the warm room and challenging moves give me a good sweat. APY is definitely a “GRIT Worthy” workout!
- The Facts: A person’s level of physical fitness is determined by 3 key factors: 1) Muscular Strength 2) Cardiovascular Endurance 3) Flexibility. You need to have an adequate level of each in order to be “fit.” Yoga is great way to ensure that you spend time focusing your flexibility. However, according to my standards, yoga DOES NOT count as one of your cardio or strength workouts – you still need to get these in separately!